“Is society too dependent on digital giants?”, on Tuesday, February 16, 2021 from 12 to 13.30 CET streamed from the THINKCorner, Helsinki.
In the economy, data is power, and power is heavily concentrated on transnational platform companies. The five most valuable companies in the world are Amazon, Apple, Google owner Alphabet, Facebook and Microsoft. We are dependent on these large companies in many ways, not only as individuals, but as a society.
What opportunities do public authorities and private actors have to operate in a monopolized platform economy with respect for democracy, good governance, individual freedoms and free markets? How to ensure that public authorities are able to use technology in a way that benefits people?
The issue will be addressed in a webinar organized by Miapetra Kumpula-Natri, a member of the European Parliament’s S&D Group, and Kalevi Sorsa Foundation. Kumpula-Natri will be the first vice-chair and rapporteur of the European Parliament’s AI Committee in the European Parliament’s report on the EU’s data strategy. The discussion is based on the report “A Progressive Approach to Digital Tech: Taking Charge of Europe’s Digital Future” published by the Foundation for European Progressive Studies (FEPS) and Nordic labour movement SAMAK, and translated into Finnish by Kalevi Sorsa Foundation.
Program TUE 16.2.2021
(EET, Helsinki time zone)
13.00 Opening of the seminar (in Finnish)
13.05 Introduction: An progressive approach to digital tech
- Project manager Maija Mattila, Kalevi Sorsa Foundation (in Finnish)
- Digital Policy Adviser Justin Nogarede, Foundation for European Progressive Studies FEPS (in English)
13.15 Keynote: Does the EU have the power to control the tech giants? (in English)
- Werner Stengg, Member of the Cabinet of Margrethe Vestager, Vice-President of the Commission
13.30 Panel discussion (chaired by Maija Mattila, in Finnish)
- MEP Miapetra Kumpula-Natri
- Leading expert Olli-Pekka Rissanen, Information and Communication Technology Department of Public Administration, Ministry of Finance
- Chairman Leena Romppainen, Effi ry
- Senior policy expert Jari-Pekka Kaleva, Neogames
14.15 Closing remarks (in Finnish)
- Maija Mattila & Miapetra Kumpula-Natri
14.25 The event ends
Please enroll here on 14th February at the latest:
Maija Mattila, maija.mattila(at)sorsafoundation.fi, tel. +358 50 575 1338